The Sun Theatre originally opened in 1938 as a single-screen cinema seating 1,050 patron.The Sun's popularity began to dwindle during the 1950s and 60s, largely due to the introduction of television in Australia. In the late 1960s, the Sun was transformed into a Greek theatre to satisfy the growing Greek population of Yarraville however was eventually shut down by the Health Department.
The Sun remained in a derelict condition for 20 years, until it was purchased in 1995 by the current owners. The Sun Theatre now has 8 boutique themed screens and with a capacity of approximately 700 seats. Steven was involved in recent refurbishments made to the cinema including the entry foyer that required careful consideration of the heritage listed components of the building and successfully delivered an egress strategy that matched the client and architectural aspirations.